[Samba] Stand-alone samba & Win2k

Chris Waltham chris at harvestroad.com
Thu Sep 5 12:36:59 GMT 2002

Hi guys,

We've got a bunch of folks working here that use Win2k to connect to a file
server, which has recently been upgraded (and, subsequently, samba was
too). The trouble is that, now, I can't seem to connect to the samba server
as anyone. I was just wondering if someone could give me a definitive guide
as to what lines I need in my config file?

All the machines have been patched with the Win2000_PlainPassword.reg file,
and up until now it's worked swimmingly. Previously I was using these
options in the config file:

;  guest account = pcguest
    security = share
;  encrypt passwords = yes
;  smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
;  username map = /etc/smbusers

I don't need to do domain stuff or anything, I just want people in the same
workgroup to be able to login (using their unix accounts or not is fine),
and get files. That's it! So, what do I need to set the aforementioned (and
whatever else) to? I've tried reading the encryption.txt files, the PDF and
the FAQ but I'm just getting more confused.

Thanks guys,

Chris