[Samba] Samba customization - performance enhancement

David Morel david.morel at amakuru.net
Wed Sep 4 19:21:00 GMT 2002

> I am starting with a RH7.3 machine.  I have gotten it down to most bare
> essentials, however, I am new to Linux and don't know enough to keep it
> all at the command line (yet - working on it).  Do you have any
> recommendations for what I can take off, or what Linux OS would be
> better to start with then RH7.3?

it's not a bad choice if you're a beginner IMHO. Gentoo or Debian need a
little more practice.
Regarding performance issues, the pdf document which somebody indicated
earlier on doesn't cover samba only, but the whole linux box. My first
impression is it makes good reading :

> > I think your best bet is stripping down the NIX OS that you plan to use.
> >  Services like X take up ALOT of resources.  You don't need much to run
> > just a Samba server.

"Configuring and optimizing Linux" is a nice reading for a start, too.

David