[Samba] Managing file permissions in samba

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Wed Sep 4 16:46:00 GMT 2002

OK, this may be an idiotic question,  but here goes:

With winbind,  I can now share files to NT/PC users who don't have a
corresponding UNIX account.  However,  I haven't figured out the permissions
management yet.  I was playing with granting explicit write permission for a
samba share to an NT user that was not in my UNIX password file.  Then I
tried granting write permission to anyone in my NT domainusers group.  The
only way it seemed I could give that user write permission was to open world
write permission to the directory on the UNIX side.  I didn't seem to be
able to manage the permissions from inside the smb.conf file ...

Am I missing something here?  Perhaps I just don't understand the precedence
of the configuration settings such as read only, write list, etc. and what
the effective result is when those settings are combined ...

Clarification or a pointer to a discussion of this topic would be  most
appreciated.

Thanks,

	Karen Wieprecht
	karen.wieprecht at jhuapl.edu