[Samba] (2.2.5) Does AUTO PRINTER DRIVERS work - definitive statement please

Fredrik Aminoff fredrik at island.liu.se
Wed Sep 4 12:28:01 GMT 2002

Gerald Carter wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Fredrik Aminoff wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 jerry at samba.org wrote:
>>
>> > I am working on one issue where certain features are not available
>> > to users even though they are set on the server (forms, duplex,
>> > etc...)
>>
>>What is the status of that issue?
>

> It has been fixed in Samba-2.2.6pre2...

We use Samba-2.6.2pre2, my mistake.

> Has the driver been initialized?

This part is still not quite clear to me. We have used the APW to upload
the driver from a Win2k-SP2 client and it works ok.
This is how I do: (Is this initialize the driver?)

1. Login as administrator locally on the machine
2. Connect to the server as root (start-run \\servername)
3. Under the printer-share right-click the printer and select properties
4. Select the Advanced-tab and press "New driver"
5. Install the latest Lexmark driver
6. Set the correct properties.

The administrator (root) can the set the properties for that printer
from Win2k and change the amount of memory, duplex option, forms etc.
The setting _are_ stored on the server and if you map the printer from
another printer as root you see the correct properties.
But if a normal domain-user logs on to the Samba-domain and connects to
the printer the printerproperties set by root is not shown..

Is there a problem that the driver was first uploaded i earlier versions
of samba (2.2.0 I think)?

 > Please retest using Samba-2.2.6pre2 and let me know....

I've tried to upload the driver again under Samba-2.2.6pre2 and set the
properties for the printer without succcess, the correct settings are
not shown to regualar users..
What's next to try? Reinstall all the printer drivers on the samba server?

This is our config for the printers in smb.conf:

load printers = yes
oplocks = false

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /tmp
    printing = sysv
    print command = /opt/island/bin/userprint.sh %U %p %s
    lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
    lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o %p
    guest ok = yes
    read only = yes