[Samba] Smbpasswd file problem

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 12:02:00 GMT 2002

HI Meenu,

	First a point of style.

Please don't send messages whcich aren't plain text to mailing lists.  I
suspect you're using a Microsfot mail cleint and you can't see the
damage it's doing, but here's the first two lines of your message, as
received by me:-

  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi ,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have installed Samba server on Red =
  Hat Linux7.1.=20
  I was trying to provide authenticated access to my shares using the =
  encrypted=20
  password via the security =3D user option in my smb.conf .</FONT></DIV>

Anyway, your problem is that you've confused 'smbpasswd' with
'smbpasswd'.  An easy mistake to make.

>I have also set the smb password file in the global section of smb.conf
>as /usr/bin/smbpasswd and
>
>When I am trying to add my login password to smbpasswd file via the
>command
>smbpasswd -a Minu ( Minu is my user name on windows and I have an
>account on my Linux server with this name) , it is giving me an error
>---
>
>Startsmbfilepwent_internal : Unable to open file /usr/bin/smbpasswd
>Error was text file was already busy

In Samba, there's an executable program called 'smbpasswd', and a file
which stores SMB accounts and passwords which is also called
'smbpasswd'.

Clasically, the smbpasswd exectuable would be in a directory like
/usr/bin or /usr/local/bin and is created by compiling and/or installing
the software.  The ordinary smbpasswd file is typically stored in
/usr/local/private or somesuch and is created by running the 'smbpasswd'
executable.

At the moment, you've set the smb.conf up so that the 'smbpasswd'
executable is trying to add users to the executable file itself!

Just change the location of smb passwd file to somewhere else, and it'll
all work much better.

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 654753 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)