[Samba] samba as PDC with win 2000 clients

Zamanakos Dimitrios zam at tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Wed Sep 4 11:31:01 GMT 2002

hi, i'm writting for the first time to this list.
i have setup a linux+samba machine to act as a pdc.
i have read the help files ,setup the smb.conf and
i added users and machines trust accounts but i
have problems when trying to join the domain.
at the log files i get the message

[2002/09/02 16:21:45, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(384)  zam logged
in as admin user (root privileges)[2002/09/02 16:23:27, 0]
passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)  unable to open passdb
database.[2002/09/03 16:43:43, 0]
passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)  unable to open passdb
database.[2002/09/03 16:48:35, 0]
passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)  unable to open passdb
database.[2002/09/03 17:05:01, 0]
passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1416)  unable to open passdb
database.

although when i do a start->run-> \\linux_name and login as zam
it says that zam is an admin when i try to login as zam when trying
to join the domain the client say incorrect username or password
and the unable to open database. my setup is as described to samba docs
and i found that the same problem exists to winXP. my clients are win
2000.

any suggestions?
thanks in advance...