[Samba] problems printing from linux to Win98 SE box

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Sep 3 23:44:00 GMT 2002

How are you filtering the job? Windows won't do it for you, you know.

http://samsungelectronics.com/download.jsp?path=%2Fprinter%2Fsupport%2Fdownloads%2Fattach_file%2F20010702132318ml_1210_eng.pdf&realname=ml_1210_eng.pdf&country=Global&job=download&lang=en&pname=printer
This is the online manual for the 1210. It discusses a printer driver for
linux. It is the last item in the appendix. Do you feel like an important target
audience yet?

If this is just a postscript printer, you might not even need a driver, but,
I wouldn't bet on it. I have a lexmark z53 with a linux driver which works just great,
so there is hope. It takes a postscript job from linux and converts it into
a format my printer understands.

Your symptom, print jobs just disappearing, is the same problem I see
if I send an unfiltered job to my z53.

BTW, I use my linux box as a print server. To filter jobs for windows
clients, I don't have to install lexmark drivers on the windows boxes,
which can be a pain. Instead, I just install an almost generic HP
laserjet III + driver, which comes with windows. This sends postscript
files to the samba server which, with the lexmark driver, filters the
jobs for the printer.  This simple trick has essentially solved all my
printer problems. No nonsense with having to upload or download printers
from a printer driver database or some such. I have no idea why everyone
just doesn't use this approach instead of having some huge driver database,
etc.

The only problem is you cannot get two way communication with the windows
printer, which doesn't have any serious effect for me. The print queue
works fine since samba handles that.

If you want to get extremely high resolution color printer (like photos),
then you likely have to have the printer attached to a windows client with
the specific windows drivers for your printer.

Please let me know how the linux driver is. Although I am very happy with my
z53, I'd be interested in hearing about other proprietary linux drivers.
Joel

Joel