[Samba] incomplete smbmount smbfs Win98SE iso8859-1 translation in kernel 2.4.18

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Sep 3 17:26:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Ian! D. Allen wrote:

> Clearly some autonegociation has taken place between my Linux box smbfs
> and Win98 that has convinced Win98 that I can't handle the full iso8859-1
> character set, so Win98 is "censoring" some (but not all) of the non-ASCII
> bytes for me by replacing them with underscores.

Actually there isn't really any negotiation on the character set, client
and server are just supposed to agree. I don't know if it is even possible
to detect on the client what the server is using.

The only thing is the unicode stuff, but I don't think win9x supports
that.

> Here is the Win98 test name I created under D:\ in the above dumps:
>
>     testçãéÉâêîôûÂÊÎÔÛàèìòùÀÈÌÒÙ.url
>
> What I actually see when I mount it via smbfs is:
>
>     testç_éÉâêîôû_____àèìòù_____.url
>
> How do I tell Win98 to give me *all* the bytes?
> (And don't other Mandrake 8.2 users have this problem too?)

Does the server's autoexec.bat set the codepage to anything?
Something like:

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850

The installer for swedish win98 always adds those lines.

I think I can find the chars it does return in the 437 codepage and the
ones it doesn't are missing.

http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html

What I think is happening is that the server must translate the windows
chars you typed into dos codepage ones before returning them to the
client, and the ones it can't convert it sets to _.

/Urban