[Samba] How can I send a broadcast message in all a domain?

Llu'is Batlle lluisbatlle at tavil.net
Tue Sep 3 16:11:02 GMT 2002

Hi there!

I'd like to use smbclient to send a broadcast message to all connected
windows workstations from the domain controler... It's for UPS warning issues.

Now, I'm getting all the computer names from the system "passwd" file, and
calling 'smbclient' from inside a sh for loop.

The command I'm using looks like:

for a in ` ypcat passwd | awk -F\: '{print $1}' | grep [$] | awk -F\$ '{print $1}' ` ; do cat message.txt | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -M $a ; done

That's a slow process, so I think there must be a way to send a good broadcast
message. Does anyone know how can I send a fast broadcast message?

The Samba is the PDC of the domain I want to warn.

Thanks!