[Samba] Suddenly can't print: "rec_read bad magic..."

lukekendall at optushome.com.au lukekendall at optushome.com.au
Tue Sep 3 13:41:01 GMT 2002

On  3 Sep, Knut Ove Hauge wrote:
>  Maybe the port is not opened.
>  Which firewall do u use?
>  Does the printer print from your lindoze?
>  It shouldent had something to do with your kernel version except from
>  the firewalls and what firewall system the kernel is compiled for.

No changes were made to the firewall configuration (which is an
external box, not part of the kernel), and the Windows machine could
still browse files on the Linux machine - it just couldn't print.

After a bit of poking about through old emails on the list, I found that
it was safe to remove /var/cache/samba/printing.tdb and restart samba,
so that's what I did.

That fixed the problem.

I have no idea what corrupted the printing.tdb file, however.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, Knut.

luke