[Samba] cannot write to file

Christian Rothe crothe at ZES.com
Tue Sep 3 11:53:00 GMT 2002

Hello SAMBA Group,

since three days I'm trying to find a solution for my Problem
without any result.
I have a small PC104 PC installed with linux. Ther is no distri-
bution installed but all things I need to start the system, to
login by serial connection or telnet. Now the system must be
connected to my LAN to save some network data. I created the path
/usr/local/samba/bin and put the 'nmbd' ans 'smbd' files in. The
smb.conf is also installed at ../samba/lib. I can find the machine
from my Windows Systems, can create new files, new directories,
can delete everything I created before but:

 I cannot edit previous created files. If I try to open a file with
a Windows editor I get the message 'Ein unerwarteter Netzwerkfehler
ist aufgetreten'. Sorry but my Windows is german. This message means
something like 'an unexpected network error occured'.

I think there is something missing by the linux installation but I
dont know where to search.
I did not implement the mechanism for shadow passwords, but I tryed
to rename the /etc/shadow file at another linux box with fine working
 samba. This box can work without this file, so I think it's not the
reason for my problem.

Is there anybody owning a list with all necessary procs etc. that
samba needs to run?

greetings
Christian

Dipl.-Ing. Christian Rothe          Dipl.-Ing. Christian Rothe
Entwicklung/Qualitätssicherung      Development/Quality Control

ZES ZIMMER Electronic Systems GmbH  ZES ZIMMER Electronic Systems GmbH
Tabaksmühlenweg 30                  Tabaksmuehlenweg 30
D-61440 Oberursel                   D-61440 Oberursel
Deutschland                         Germany

Tel.: 06171/628750                  ++49 6171 628750
Fax.: 06171/52086                   ++49 6171 52086
mailto:crothe at zes.com / mailto:sales at zes.com
http://www.zes.com