[Samba] Unable to initgroup!

Wilfred J G Francis Wilfred.Francis at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 09:56:01 GMT 2002

Hello all, Help!!

Am running Unix 2.4 and Samba allowing windows clients to map the
Unix server.
Some users have been unable to connect to mapped drives and having
looked at the logs I see the message:

Unable to initgroup!
this is probably a problem with the account nobody

This message appears in all the user logs, however, only some users
have the problem of connecting. I have looked at the smb.conf file and
cannot seemingly find any errors, there again, I am not to sure  of
what I am looking for or am I looking in the right place. I also
noticed that all the samba directories and files have the permission
and ownerships set to '770 guest physiol', physiol being the group. In
the smb.conf, masks are set to '775', which has confused me, as the
problem affects some and not others.

This setup is a legacy of a previous administrator which has been
handed over to me. I have very little knowledge of Samba.

Thanks

Wilfred

Physiology Computing Group
Physiology Department