[Samba] windows xp connect to share - cannot change user name from guest

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Sep 3 03:53:01 GMT 2002

I have limited experience at home with two XP machines.
Neither one was a problem to log on, as I recall.
Maybe your using unencrypted passwords is making XP unhappy.
Try encrypted passwords, and see if they work. If they do, and you don't
want to change everything to encrypted passwords, you might look into
setting up an an alias on your samba server, and making that alias use
encrypted passwords. (I've never done this, but it "ought" to work.)
Joel