[Samba] Slow Samba Printer initialisation, status, and printing

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Sep 2 23:15:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Michael Carmody wrote:

> File browsing and creation is quick, easy and no problems. Printing takes
> nearly 30 seconds to open, and another 10 seconds to initialise, and the
> print jobs take forever to come up. It is functional, but very slow. The
> new print server runs rapidly with no problems, printing/initialisation and
> file browsing. In the machine specific logs I get the following error
> message repeated two or three times before it does actually connect:
>
> [2002/09/02 16:16:16, 0]
> rpc_client/cli_spoolss_notify.c:spoolss_connect_to_client(79)
>    connect_to_client: Can't resolve address for PC194-70

This is the print notification back channel needed to send
asynchronous updates to connected clients.  smbd cannot resolve
the address to the client name used in the netbios session setup.
Fix your name resolution and the delay will go away.

> [global]
>          workgroup = MDU
>          server string = New MDU Print Server
>          security = SERVER
>          encrypt passwords = Yes
>          password server = pv-mdu-server1 pv-mdu-server2

Why are you using server mode security?  It is not very good for the
health of you samba PDC as compared to domain mode security.

cheers, jerry