[Samba] Samba and Linux users

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Sep 2 19:22:01 GMT 2002

OK. I don't suggest you use the following for your final arrangement,
but start here and work backwards on permissions (way back!).

smbmount //sever/share  mountpoint -o uid=root,fmask=777,dmask=777,rw

And, in smb.conf:
[global]
        security = share
        guest account =  root

[public]
        comment = Root directory
        path = /
        read only = no
        create mask = 0777
        guest ok = yes

Make the permission on the shared directory chmod 777.

Now, this is about as insecure as you can make it.
This allows a perfect stranger, from about anywhere, to log onto your samba
server and have access to the entire machine.
So, if this works as you want, start to prune back permissions.
Changing uid=root and guest account = root to something more reasonable
are two places to start.

Joel