[Samba] incomplete smbmount smbfs Win98SE iso8859-1 translation in kernel 2.4.18

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Sep 2 18:12:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Ian! D. Allen [NCFreeNet] wrote:

> # cat /proc/mounts | grep /mnt/d
> //win/D /mnt/d smbfs //ro,win95,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,codepage=cp850 0 0
                       ^^
What is that?

Since it doesn't print the iocharset I assume your CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT is
set to the same. So that's ok.

> # lsmod | grep nls
> nls_cp850               3584   1  (autoclean)
> nls_iso8859-1           2816   1  (autoclean)

If you umount and unload the smbfs module, these both go to 0?

> Why am I getting only partial translation to latin-1?
> Pointers to more man pages graciously accepted...

One reason could be that the server isn't actually using codepage 850 but
something else that partially overlaps (437 ?). You could try some
different settings here.

To find out what the server is sending you could sniff it using ethereal
and see if it makes sense. Also look at the nls tables in the kernel
source tree (fs/nls) and see if the charset(850) -> unicode ->
charset(iso8859-1) values match.

You could also try the unicode patches from this page:
    http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/index.html
(Note the order and the samba patch+option needed)

/Urban