[Samba] Print to JetDirect

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 2 12:49:00 GMT 2002

Hi Bob,

First a point of style, you need to say a bit more than "doesn't work"
if we're really going to be able to help you.  Also you said the
permissions on all the spool directories are the same, but you didn't
say what they were!

>From: "Bob Crandell" <bob at assuredcomp.com>
>To: "Samba List" <samba at lists.samba.org>
>
>Hi,
>
>We just picked up a new client that didn't want to pay the Micr$oft tax so we
>installed Samba.  There are a variety of issues we need to work through, the
>first of which is printing to a JetDirect 500X 3 port print server.  They
>have 2 other models that we have working.

I use HP JetDirect 500X servers with no problems, so it can be done.
Have faith.

>pcguest belongs to the lp group.

This probably doesn't matter.

>The permissions on all spool directories are the same.

Can you do an 'ls -l' of them for me?

>Here is the relatevant section of smb.conf:
>This works.
>[HP1220C]
>	available = yes
>	comment = Our HP DeskJet 1220C Printer
>	path = /var/spool/lpd/HP1220c
>	print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
>        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p stop
>        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start
>	public = yes
>	writable = no
>	printable = yes
>	browsable = yes
>	force user = pcguest
>	create mask = 0777

Right.  Firstly, I'd suggest you _don't_ use the same directory for
Samba's printing shares and the lpd spool directory.  It's just asking
for confusion.

Thankfully, you don't need to create a Samba spool directory for each
printer, they can all quite happily share the same one (I have 30 odd
printers, each with individual spool directories for lpd, sharing a
single Samba spool)