[Samba] smbd + nmbd don't want to start

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon Sep 2 08:30:01 GMT 2002

The RedhHat startup scripts will not look for the daemons where they are
installed after you compile from sources.
And, the installation directory is likely not in the path statement of your
root user, either.
SO,
likely, the binaries are now in:
/usr/local/samba/lib
If they are not there, you should be able to figure out where they are by:
1. Looking in configure in your source directory.
2. Running updatedb and locate smbd

I find it better to run smbd/nmbd as free standing daemons, not with inetd.

The smbclient that you are running may be left over from the old
installation. Did you remove (rpm) the old installation?
Joel