[Samba] Help with Multi stream files

Nir Soffer nirs at exanet.com
Sun Sep 1 01:59:01 GMT 2002

[snip - Samba < 2.2.4 support for ADS]

> > Size  Name
> > 61013 pic0010.jpg
> >  7872 pic0010.jpg:zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:$DATA
> >     0 pic0010.jpg:{yyyyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyy}:$DATA
> >
> > The first file is the orig jpeg, which is intact. The
> second file I will assume
> > to be the thumbnail, while the 3rd file is empty.
> >
> > I have done a search on the net and the samba list archives
> and have seen mails
> > from other people with the same problem but have not found
> a solution.
> >
> > I have tried flicking some of the more obscure options for
> configuring samba
> > with no success.
> >
> > Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Known bug we fixed for 2.2.5, sorry.

Skimming through the samba.org website failed to pop up any list FAQ,
but if there _is_ one out there, and anyone is updating it, I humbly
submit the following entry:

Q: Under Samba 2.2.x, where x<4, odd files appear with names like this:
pic0010.jpg
pic0010.jpg:zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:$DATA
pic0010.jpg:{yyyyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyy}:$DATA

Or the mangled versions of these files, e.g:
snmp.jpg
SNMP~CC.JPG
SNMP~HL.JPG

Where the two extra files are of odd sizes. Most happens with JPEGs.
What's up?

A: Samba versions under 2.2.4 (This was fixed in 2.2.4, from what I've
seen.) didn't handle Windows Alternate Data Streams very well. This has
been resolved in later versions of Samba. Please upgrade your version.

To learn more about Window Alternate Data Streams, see:
http://www.heysoft.de/nt/ntfs-ads.htm
http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/docs/dark_side.html

Regards,
Nir.

--
Nir Soffer -=- Software Engineer, Exanet Inc. -=-
"Father, why are all the children weeping? / They are merely crying son