[Samba] (no subject)

Michael J. Luevane mikel at quantecllc.com
Thu Oct 31 22:43:01 GMT 2002

Hello, Samba user folks :)

I have a few very likely newbie questions:

1. I installed Samba 2.2.6 from sources and I don't seem to have smbclient
or nmblookup. Did I goof somewhere and forget something that would have
included them?

2. I am curious about upgrading samba via CVS - I've looked at the
instructions and it seems pretty straightforward. Is there anything to watch
out for as far as updating Samba files while the smbd is running?

3. Windows has this nasty (okay, it's actually a decent thing - if you could
turn it off...) where it creates a brand new profile if you join a new
domain - even if that new domain has the exact same name. Will upgrading the
Samba files trigger this behavior?  I'm thinking not, but after the havoc
this caused after the switch from NT to Linux - along with the unexpected
"gift" of Win2K autmatically creating roaming profiles (which it had never
done before when connecting to a new Windows domain), I am, I believe,
rightly paranoid about all this.

Many thanks in advance,

| Michael Luevane      +                                    |
| System Administrator +       mikel @ quantec llc . com    |
| Quantec, LLC         +       www.quantecllc.com           |
| 503-228-2992         +                                    |