[Samba] Which tree should I be barking up?

Steven S. Macfarlane aussm at cableone.net
Thu Oct 31 19:30:01 GMT 2002

Running Samba 2.2.6 on RedHat 7.2 in a Microsoft NT4 Domain, trying to
create or copy a text file to a share from a MS Windows 2000 Professional
workstation (client2k) gives 'Access denied'

Reading the log file (level 3) for samba.client2k (not an activity I feel
much comfort in doing correctly) it looks like I am being recognized as a
'guest user' which is a problem but for testing purposes I have changed
smb.conf for this share to allow guest access, which it does not seem to.

I am also attempting to achieve a successful integration with winbind as I
don't want to manage users on two platforms.

wbinfo -u gives a list of domain users
wbinfo -g gives a list of domain groups
wbinfo -t gives 'secret is good'

Here is my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/10/23 15:08:25

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = GPSC
        netbios name = WILLIAM
        server string = GPSC Application Samba Server
        interfaces = lo eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes