[Samba] PDC connect problem

Richard Fox rfox at sbsii.com
Thu Oct 31 16:36:13 GMT 2002

This is my second attempt to get some help.. maybe my first post was too
complex, so I will simplify it and if you need more information you will ask
me. I am quite stuck so I would really appreciate some help. I am trying to
connect an NT box, mercury, to a RedHat 7.3 PDC, thor. When I try to logon
to the domain from mercury I get an error msg on my NT box which says "the
domain controller for this domain cannot be located."

My smb.conf global section is:

[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        netbios name = THOR
        server string = Samba PDC %v %h
        max log size = 50
        security = user
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Please*retype*new*password* %n\n
*password*successfully*updated*
        os level = 65
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon home = \\%L\%u
        logon drive = H:
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u
        hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.

Mercury and thor are on their own private network, all other machines here
are on 192.168.0. I cannot pinpoint the problem. When I try to log in from
mercury, the samba log files on thor do not even register the attempt. It
should be something simple, but I have been tweaking for 3 days and.... no
success

Help!