[Samba] Winbindd not listing users/groups

Sean Patrick Ingles ingless at visionsys.com
Thu Oct 31 14:44:01 GMT 2002

Greetings from NY!

I am running SaMBa version 2.2.6 compiled from source on a RedHat 7.3
(Linux tux.#########.net 2.4.19 #1 Fri Oct 25 15:39:52 EDT 2002 i686
unknown) box.
I start smbd and nmbd as I usually do.
Then I start winbindd

I verified that they are running.

I run :
smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r Windows2kDomainController -U Administrator
Password:
Joined domain DOMAIN.

Ok, so I'm in the domain

Then I run:
[root at tux src]# wbinfo -t
Secret is good

Even better, my secret is good!

Then I try and list users/groups:
[root at tux src]# wbinfo -u
Error looking up domain users
[root at tux src]# wbinfo -g
Error looking up domain groups

And I sit there starting blankly at the screen, searching google, etc,
then I join the SaMBa mailing list and cross my fingers that there is
someone out there who can help!
I'm trying to integrate this Linux/SaMBa server into my Microsoft-only
Company, and so far the powers that be are up to it, but I want to show
them that the Linux fileserver can authenticate against their current
Windows 2000 Server domain controllers so we don't need 2 separate user
databases.

Any assistance is much appreciated!

Regards,

-SP

   \        /   ____/    / Sean Patrick Ingles
    \      /   /        / Jr. Network Engineer
      \  /       /    / Vision Systems, Inc.
      __/   ____/   _/ 142 State Street
                       Albany, NY 12207
    www.visionsys.com <http://www.visionsys.com>    Landline: +1