[Samba] Problems of groups accessing shared directory

Simon Hobson shobson-lists at colony.com
Thu Oct 31 08:40:02 GMT 2002

Qonita wrote:

>3. In the linux system, the directory /home/pub/ourdir is chown to root and
>chgrp to "special". The permission is 775, so that anyone belong to the
>"special" group has full control to the directory.
>drwxrwxr-x     12 root    special    4096  Oct 29 17:15  ourdir
>
>Problems came when person1 put/edit a file via samba (Windows Explorer), the
>ownership of the file is person1.group1, instead of person1.special. In this
>case, person4.group2 cannot edit the file (doesn't belong to the same
>group).
>How to make all files written or edited always belonging to group "special"?
>I have tried "force group = special" but it turned out anyone has access to
>the directory, eventhough they're not listed as member of group "special" in
>/etc/group.

After setting the group ownership, also set the sticky bit, ie :

chmod g+s <directory>

This tells Linux to use the group name of that directory, rather than
the primary group of the user, when creating new files.

Simon

--
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.