[Samba] Older Mac to SAMBA copy

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Wed Oct 30 23:08:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 17:38, Matt Nelson wrote:
> I did that, still no luck. Files just dissappear.  If I run netatalk, can
> the pc clients still work with the files as well?  I don't understand why a
> direct copy fails, and a copy VIA a windows workstation works.  That makes
> *no* sense.

if you run netatalk and samba then you can have both types of clients
accessing the same fileset.
However - you do open yourself up to locking problems...
(which you have anyway with dave)

You'll need to be sure the either
clients don't try to access the same files at the same time
or
turn off oplocking and set share modes = no
on the samba shares.

I don't know how locking works on netatalk shares

copying via a windows machine may work because dave(or samba) is
broken in such a way that dave can talk to windows but not to samba.

brad