[Samba] Re: Samba - root preexec & login scripts

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Wed Oct 30 20:41:42 GMT 2002

John Benedetto wrote:

> --On Wednesday, October 30, 2002 8:46 PM +0100 Walter Mautner
> <rentuam_retlaw at hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> >> [netlogon]
> >>    comment = Network Logon Service
> >>    path = /home/netlogon
> >>    guest ok = yes
> >>    read only = yes
> >>    browseable = no
> >>    printable = no
> >>    write list = @adm
> >>    share modes = no
> >> #   root preexec = perl /home/netlogon/netlogon.pl %U
> >>    preexec = echo \"%u connected to %S from %m (%I)\" >> /tmp/log
> >>
> > Probably it's too simple: you have to supply absolute paths to
> > your commands :)
> >

> I am worried about two things -
>
> The first might be a typo, but you have a pound sign, commenting out the
> "root preexec" line, and the other is: Do you need to preface your command
> with "perl"?  Why not specify it on the first line that you need perl?
> Something like the traditional first line in script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> Which would make the root preexec line:
>
> root preexec = /home/netlogon/netlogon.pl %U
> ???
>
> - john

The line that is commented out was done because it killed domain logons
and I wanted to do something simpler as a test. That something simpler
is the second line - taken directly from the smb.conf man page - which
just echo's stuff to /tmp/log - or at least it's supposed to. In
actuality, that line also kills the domain logons. In addition, from my
experiments it seems ANY preexec or root preexec in the netlogon share
kills the domain logons - I've tried several things. As for prefacing
the statement with 'perl', it wasn't originally that way and I do have
the #!/usr/bin/perl line at the top of the netlogon.pl file. The 'perl'
was placed at the front of the statement when I was working with it last
night because of a suggestion from somebody on the list yesterday.

I obviously can't see it but I was hoping someone else might see
something wrong somewhere else in the smb.conf file - maybe the profiles
set up or something(?).

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us