[Samba] nmblookup problem

Carl Stainton carl at adelan.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 18:49:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

I've been working through the Teach Yourself Samba book with my install of Samba and I run up against this issue while going through the diagnostics after I failed to see my samba server in my network places on my Windows 2000 client.

nmblookup -d 2 '*'
"If the broadcast address is configured correctly, you should see multiple messages saying "Got a positive name query response from..." even if you have only two machines on the network as I do here. The actual number of responses is not important as long as you get one from a machine other than the server.

If you do not see output similar to the example, you might need to experiment with the interfaces parameter in smb.conf to manually configure the interface and netmask to which smbd and nmbd will bind. If you have more than one network interface, Samba binds only to the first one by default."

My set up is a home ADSL connection with two ethernet cards, one to masquerade for an internal lan and the other to deal with external traffic.
eth0 (external) is on 192.168.1.2 and eth1 (lan) is on 192.168.1.3. The firewall rules have been relaxed so that there are no restrictions while I try to get the samba fileshares up and running.

Now I've experimented with the interfaces and netmasks. I'm just wondering how much I should experiment.  My smb.conf interfaces line reads:

interfaces=192.168.1.3/255.255.255.0 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0

and I've tried it with just the one interface at a time. If I go for a setting of /0.0.0.0 I can pick up all of my LAN, but I have a feeling that it's not a good idea to do it this way. Am I correct to feel this way ?

My set up is a home ADSL connection with two ethernet cards, one to masquerade for an internal lan and the other to deal with external traffic.

Thanks in advance, Carl.