[Samba] Sending "fake" ip address to WINS server when advertising?

Bo Brinkman brinkman at cs.princeton.edu
Wed Oct 30 18:29:01 GMT 2002

Hi all: I've got a Linux box behind a linksys stand-alone NAT. Currently
I have port-forwarding turned on so it is actually possible to connect
to my samba shares using my IP address.

We use a WINS server, but of course if I tell samba about the WINS
server it advertises itself as 192.168.1.3 (the behind-the-NAT address).
This won't allow others to connect from outside the NAT though. Is there
any way to make samba send my NAT's external IP to the WINS server
instead of the private IP used by the actual machine? I've looked
through the docs and searched via google, but so far have not been able
to figure it out. :(

Thanks! (If you wouldn't mind, please CC me on replies as I don't
subscribe. But I also will check the list archive, so no biggie.)

William "Bo" Brinkman                         brinkman at cs.princeton.edu
Princeton Computer Science                 http://www.derandomized.org/
--
The American officials have demanded that both governments were hoping
to Mars launching also went well, and that China return the planet.