[Samba] Samba... help!

Freddy Lang freddy.lang at tdcadsl.dk
Wed Oct 30 14:13:28 GMT 2002

I need some help to configure Samba. I have two computers on my LAN, one running WinXP, the other running RH 8. I've tried to configure Samba, using both manual text mode and WebMin/SWAT. But nothing seems to help.

I can see both computers in Network Neighbourhood (My Network Places), but I can't access the Linux box. When I try it, I get the following error message:

"Linuxbox is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found:"

It seems like I messed something up about security level, passwords, users or something like that. I just can't see what I'm missing. I made changes in "hosts" and "lmhosts" on both computers, and I ran a reg file called WinXP_PlainPassword.reg. That reg file is supposed to fix the registry so I wouldn't have any problems regarding passwords.

I have to mention that the XP computer works as gateway, since a thunderstorm killed my router a couple of months ago.But if I can get the Linux up and running I want it to be gateway, also because I want to host a couple of web sites on it.

I hope some of you guys out there are able to help med. Preferrably online (ICQ or the like) since I believe that method would be better than sending mails back and forth a million times. If somebody would want to, it's possible to mess with my Linux box through WebMin.

Kind regards

Freddy
ICQ UIN: 10492476