[Samba] PDF printer using ps2pdf ?

Tim Allen timallen at ls83.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Oct 30 08:09:57 GMT 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, S. Ancelot wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to set up a printer in samba
> that will use ps2pdf converter to create pdf documents when printing on it ?
> Best Regards
> Steph

Yes. Take a look at Sambafax:

http://wwwhomes.uni-bielefeld.de/ingalo/software/sambafax.html

for the general idea. Obviously it's for a slightly different purpose but
could easily be adapted.

A slight problem with such schemes is deciding what to call the PDF file
and where to put it. A dedicated directory off of your home is one
possibility. Or you could email the PDF back to yourself.

But what you might really want is Redmon:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/redmon/

which allows you to set up Ghostscript on your local machine as a PS or
PDF writer. Last time I tried it, it had a minor bug in that it would only
write the PDF file to a local drive, not a network drive.

Cheers

Tim Allen