[Samba] RE: Can you assist me? I have seen yours and Jennifer Fountains corr espondence

Wieprecht, Karen M. Karen.Wieprecht at jhuapl.edu
Tue Oct 29 18:51:01 GMT 2002

You can do the following:

0. Stop winbind and samba

1. Delete  the hosts machine account (on the NT domain controller),  verify
that the machine account deletion has propagated to any backup domain
controllers

2. Remove the secrets.tdb file (or MACHINE.SID if you are using an older
version of samba, these are usually in ~samba/private),

3. Make a new machine account for the host on the domain controller

4. While samba and winbind are not running,  re-join the machine to the
domain :
    smbpasswd -j domainname -r  domaincontroller
  this will create a new MACHINE.SID or secrets.tdb file

5. rerun your samba (first) and winbind (second) startup scripts

6. try your wbinfo and other tests,  you should be in good shape.

    karen Wieprecht