[Samba] NT Administrator account changes permissions when logging onto samba server

John Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Tue Oct 29 17:29:01 GMT 2002

--On Tuesday, October 29, 2002 8:53 AM -0800 "Michael J. Luevane"
<mikel at quantecllc.com> wrote:

> It wasn't, but I put it in. As a local account it works just like the
> administrator	account should. When I log into the network, I lose the
> local permissions - ie, I can't run programs that require administrator
> rights.
>
> Mike

The question was not "Is there a local account called root?", but "Have you
added the domain root user into the administrator group?". It's two
different things.  Do NOT create a local account with the name root, but
rather: In the User Manager, you can add accounts into certain groups.
Open up the administrators" group and add in \\domain\root (of course,
replace "domain" with the actual name of your domain)... You should be able
to browse to the account. The drawback with that method is that you have to
touch every machine to do it.

Pardon me if I have missed anything, but the better solution would be to
add the root account in domain admins in the smb.conf (but am I recalling
correctly that this will not work in version 3 of Samba?)

- john