[Samba] Cannot see the samba server in Network Neighbourhood

Noel Kelly nkelly at citrusnetworks.net
Tue Oct 29 14:30:02 GMT 2002

Mark,

Yes clearly your Samba machine is becoming the master browser from the log
but I am suspicious of the 'os level' parameter being set to 2 (see below).

You can search the archives at  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com (see
http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/archives.html)

HTH
Noel

 os level (G)
              This integer value controls what level Samba advertises
itself  as
              for  browse  elections.  The  value  of  this  parameter
determines
              whether nmbd(8) has a chance of becoming a local master
browser for
              the  WORKGROUP in the local broadcast area.

              Note  :By  default, Samba will win a local master browsing
election
              over all Microsoft operating systems except a Windows  NT
4.0/2000
              Domain  Controller.  This means that a misconfigured Samba
host can
              effectively isolate a subnet  for  browsing  purposes.  See
BROWS-
              ING.txt in the Samba docs/ directory for details.

              Default: os level = 20