[Samba] NT Administrator account changes permissions when logging onto samba server

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Oct 29 09:25:19 GMT 2002

> Message: 7
> From: "Michael J. Luevane" <mikel at quantecllc.com>
> To: "Samba at Lists. Samba. Org" <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:46:53 -0800
> Subject: [Samba] NT Administrator account changes permissions when
logging onto samba server

> Hello, all
>
> I have a problem with my administrator accounts on WinNT with Samba.
>
> When I log in locally as the Administrator, it works as expected - I *am*
> the administrator for the machine.
>
> When I log into the domain as Administrator, it works as expected - I
log in
> as root.

But do you have admin rights on the local machine? Ie, can you add users
etc.?

> The prolem comes when I try to do anything on the local machine as
> Administrator (logged into the Samba server). The problem is that any NT
> permissions that I've put onto the Administrator account are not there
when
> I'm logged in on the domain. When I go back to logging in locally,
> permissions are all fine.

You must apply permissions/rights/group memberships to the domain
account you are going to use, when logged in with an account with local
admin rights (local Administrator or Domain Admin).

> What I'm trying to do is to run Veritas' BackupExec on an NT server and be
> able to backup files on the linux box (main server). When I try to run the
> front end I get a permissions error - that the account must be an
> administrator or a backup operator.

When ou are running it as which user?

> I go into the Administrator account (local) and set the backup account

Local backup account?

> Administrator *and* backup operator. Log back in. Locally, it's fine.
>
> Log into the domain - those permissions are not set, so I cannot run the
> backup program.
>
> This issue seems to be the same for each account, so I'm guessing that I
> missed something in the config. I looked, but couldn't figure it out.
>
> Any help from anyone? :)

Could you post your smb.conf (or mail it to me privately), and if you
are using something like 'username map = /etc/samba/smbusers', please
include the username map file (/etc/samba/smbusers).

I suspect that you haven't got root included in your 'domain admin group'.

> main server: Mandrake 9.0 running Samba 2.2.6pre2
> backup server: WinNT 4.0 Server with SP 6

FYI, the way we work is to not use the Administrator account for domain
admin work, we use domain accounts listed in our 'domain admin group'.

Buchan

- --