[Samba] Is 2.2.6 Final?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 29 08:18:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 08:32:42AM +0100, Markus Schabel wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> >Depending on how you also use LDAP, there are some good reasons to move
> >to 3.0.  In HEAD, pdb_ldap now has connection caching, and does not
> >modify unchanged attributes (these benefits provided by metze, who has
> >the significant advantage of using samba on a large and complex ldap
> >infrastructure).
> >
> I'm not sure if this is helpful when replicating the complete Directory
> to the Samba-Server, but at least it sounds good.

I'm not sure what you mean here.

metze has been working on some of the consequences of running Samba on
an OpenLDAP slave, we need to take account of the replication time
otherwise we add a user then return that they don't exist.

> >We hope to move this stuff into the next 3.0 alpha.
> >
> >Samba 3.0 also adds 'ldap passwd sync', to help keep the LDAP and SMB
> >passwords in sync.
> >
> I guess that's really helpful for us.
>
> Do the computer accounts still need to be full posix users? It would
> simplify things a bit if not.

No, with the ldapsam_nua hack, this is not required.  I'm going to look
into making this work better when I get a chance.

Andrew Bartlett