[Samba] Winbind!

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Tue Oct 29 01:12:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 05:33:22PM -0600, Jennifer Crusade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running Red Hat 7.3 Samba 2.26 and winbind.  I have been able to join
> the domain and test all of the following with these commands.  All works
> great.
>
> But when I set up a share to test with one domain user account it just
> presents me with a password dialog box and does not accept anything. It
> should not prompt me but if it does it should authenticate.

I suggest configuring PAM to allow shell logins for domain users.
If you can get them to login at a Linux login: prompt, then it
should work also through Samba.  It's just one thing you can do
to check.

> I have the winbind separator as + but if I run testparm I get the following:
>
> [root at gtdns root]# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[TESTIT]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> 'winbind separator = +' might cause problems with group membership.
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Looks like a warning rather than an error.  IIRC, the examples in
the Samba docs use a +, so it seems like it should be ok.

> If I change the separator to \ and run testparm I get the following:
>
> [root at gtdns root]# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[TESTIT]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> ERROR: the 'winbind separator' parameter must be a single character.
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

Maybe you need to specify the backslash as \\ instead of a single \. ?
I don't remember just offhand exactly how I did it, but I had things
configured here to use \ as the winbind separator.

If you don't get it working pretty quickly ... coincidentally, I am
currently working on the section on winbind for Using Samba, 2nd edition.
I might be able to send you a copy of that, and see if the directions work
for you. Hopefully, you can also provide some pre-publication user
feedback. Email me privately if you'd like to do this.

Jay Ts
jay at jayts.cx