[Samba] NT Administrator account changes permissions when logging onto samba server

Michael J. Luevane mikel at quantecllc.com
Mon Oct 28 23:50:37 GMT 2002

Hello, all

I have a problem with my administrator accounts on WinNT with Samba.

When I log in locally as the Administrator, it works as expected - I *am*
the administrator for the machine.

When I log into the domain as Administrator, it works as expected - I log in
as root.

The prolem comes when I try to do anything on the local machine as
Administrator (logged into the Samba server). The problem is that any NT
permissions that I've put onto the Administrator account are not there when
I'm logged in on the domain. When I go back to logging in locally,
permissions are all fine.

What I'm trying to do is to run Veritas' BackupExec on an NT server and be
able to backup files on the linux box (main server). When I try to run the
front end I get a permissions error - that the account must be an
administrator or a backup operator.

I go into the Administrator account (local) and set the backup account to
Administrator *and* backup operator. Log back in. Locally, it's fine.

Log into the domain - those permissions are not set, so I cannot run the
backup program.

This issue seems to be the same for each account, so I'm guessing that I
missed something in the config. I looked, but couldn't figure it out.

Any help from anyone? :)

main server: Mandrake 9.0 running Samba 2.2.6pre2
backup server: WinNT 4.0 Server with SP 6