[Samba] MS Access and RAID

Harry Mills harry at navaho.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 08:57:44 GMT 2002

Hi,

We have been having a few problems with a M$ Access DB held on a Samba server

Samba version: samba-2.2.4-2N1

We have rebuilt a new server, and transferred the database over to the new
box, along with word/excel docs etc. Everything is working fine, except the
access database, which is running very very slowly (can be over a minute to
open a record).
Details are a little sketchy, but it would seem that when the new server is
being used, one workstation has reasonable access speeds, but subsequent
workstations are slow - although this could be a 'user diagnosis syndrome' ;)

The access binary is held locally on the workstations.
If you transfer the database back to the old samba server, it runs fine.
The two servers are running the same version of samba, same Kernel (2.4.18).
The workstations are Windows98, doing domain logons to the Samba server.

The only difference I can see between the old and new servers, is the new
server has two raided (mirror) IDE drives, the old server is a single drive
box. There are no errors on the NICS, oplocks are off for *.mdb and *.ldb and
tcpdump shosw data flowing consistently between the server and the
workstation. The Load Ave on the box is near enough 0.0.

For the moment, I have put them back on the old server.

Any help would be gratefully received - bit stumped on this one!
--
Harry Mills                                        DDI:01749 812100
Educational Development Manager                    Fax:01749 812749