[Samba] use samba timeserver for linux box

Graham Vincent graham at gpv.co.nz
Sat Oct 26 03:37:01 GMT 2002

Hello.

I have a small network with a dialup connection to the internet. When
the server is online to collect mail, etc I use ntpdate to synchronise
it with a local timeserver.

The windows machines on the network set their time using the timeserver
in Samba with a "net time ..." bat file. This works well.

I would like to synchronise the linux machines using the samba time
server but have been unable to work out how to do it? Setting up an ntp
daemon seems a bit over the top when there is a perfectly good Samba
timeserver already running.

 How can I access the Samba timeserver to set the time on a linux machine?

Thanks,

Graham