[Samba] One more empty page printig via samba.

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Fri Oct 25 21:51:00 GMT 2002

The problem is that Windows by default sends a Ctrl-D character at the
close of the print job, and LPRng (and every other well behaved print
spooler) attached one as well. The second one causes the additional page.
The easiest solution (at least for a few clients) is to go to the client
and remove this (I have put detailed instructions for this that we have at
the bottom (unfortunately, we haven't updated for Win2K, but you get the
idea)). Good luck!

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Stepan Potocky wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:57:19 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Stepan Potocky <stepan at kfy.zcu.cz>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] One more empty page printig via samba.
>
> Hi,
> when printing localy everything is OK. When anybody else prints to this
> local printer then it's printed last empty page. I'm using lprng and
> printing command is lpr -r -P%p %s
>
> 			Thanks Stepan
>

> --

Windows 95
       The following instructions must be completed for every printer with
which you are experiencing this problem.
           1.Go to the printer listings by clicking on the Start Button,
then going up to the Settings selection and over the Printers selection.
This will bring up a window with all your printers in it.
           2.Right-click once on the printer you want to fix, and click
once on the "Properties" selection on the menu which should pop up (it may
take a few seconds to pop up -- be patient). This will bring up the
properties window for that printer.
           3.On the Properties window which comes up, there should be a
tab which says "PostScript" on it. Click once on this tab.
           4.Near the middle of the window, near the middle there is a box
beside which it says "Print PostScript errors". This box is checked by
default. Click once in the box to uncheck it.
           5.Lower in the same window, there should be a button which says
"Advanced..." on it. Click once on this button. This will bring up bring
up another window.
           6.Near the bottom of the new window, there should now be a box
which says "Send CTRL+D after job" beside it. This box is checked by
default. Click once in the box to uncheck it.
           7.Hit the OK button in the new window. This will close this
window.
           8.Hit the OK button in the original window. This will close
this window.
           9.Close the window which contains all the printers opened in step 1.

Windows NT
The following instructions must be completed for every printer with which
you are experiencing this problem.
           1.Go to the printer listings by clicking on the Start Button,
then going up to the Settings selection and over the Printers selection.
This will bring up a window with all your printers in it.
           2.Right-click once on the printer you want to fix, and click
once on the "Document Defaults..." selection on the menu which should pop
up (it may take a few seconds to pop up -- be patient). This will bring up
the "Default Document Properties" window for that printer.
           3.If the "Advanced" tab in the window isn't the one in front,
click on it once to bring it to the front.
           4.There is a hierarchical list on options in the upper portion
of the window. Under the "Document Options" heading, there is a selection
called "PostScript Options" with a plus sign beside it. Click once on the
plus sign, which will bring a number of options up below it.
           5.Click once on the option "Send CTRL+D After Each Job: <Yes>",
which will change what appears in the lower half of the window.
           6.In the lower half of the window, two radio buttons will have
appeared to the right of a yellow light bulb. The button on the top has
"Yes" beside it (which is the button which is on) and one on the bottom
which has "No" beside it. Click once in the button beside "No". The light
bulb to the left of the buttons will turn grey.
           7.Click once on the OK button at the bottom of the window. The
window will close.
           8.Close the window which contains all the printers opened in step 1.