[Samba] Samba Server in a WinNT 4 Domain - SOLVED, sort of...

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Fri Oct 25 21:06:00 GMT 2002

Update on the problem all:

Turns out a junior administrator had used the IP addy that I was using
for my test machine for another machine and didn't tell me about it.
Anyway - MAJOR problem averted, but I still have a minor annoyance.

I described a very long pause when accessing the SAMBA machine from
Windows before, well that is still with me.  I finally get what I'm
looking for, but it takes FOREVER (as compared to Windows) to get to the
SAMBA machine.  Now I realize that the test machine isn't "server
material" and it never will be a production machine, but I've got
Pentium 233 machines that respond quicker than this machine does.

Ping times are fine, just the interaction of the Network Neighborhood.
I'm almost convinced it's a "slow machine" thing or (most likely) the
SAMBA machine is taking a very long time talking to the PDC/BDC on the
network for user authentications.  Anyone give me a pointer here?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin