[Samba] Re-establishing a Samba 2.2.1a domain controller after major "crash"

Lasse Taul Bjerre lasse at bjerre.cx
Fri Oct 25 16:55:01 GMT 2002

Our Samba 2.2.1a domain controller suffered a major disk error the other
day. The partition with /etc and /dev died. :(
I’ve now reinstalled SuSE 7.3, and re-established the UNIX password files
(passwd, group, shadow) from backup, further more I’ve re-established the
files from /etc/samba (MACHINE.SID, groups.mapping, lmhosts, machine.sid,
secrets.tdb, smb.conf, smbpasswd, smbusers).

All my shares are up and running and the users can log on to the server, and
they can map the shares. The only, but major, problem I experiences is: The
workstations has lost the “thrust” to the domain controller. If I check the
/etc/samba/smbpasswd file the “Machine Trust Account” exists. Have I missed
a file or something, or is it just not possible to re-establish a domain
controller via the config files?

ANY help is MUCH appreciated, this is a domain with 250 computers, and so
going around and rejoining all the computers is to time consuming. And I
would really like to have the system back online Monday morning.

Further more, I plan to upgrade to 2.2.6 ASAP (when I've solved the Trust
issue) Is this a good version or should I use an older version like 2.2.5
or??

TIA.

Lasse