[Samba] Samba 2.2.6 leaks file descriptions!

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at lumentis.se
Fri Oct 25 16:25:01 GMT 2002

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > My server has ran out of file descriptors(FDs) a few times since 2.2.5 up to 2.2.6.
> > When looked into the problem I found a lot of smbd processes that had hundreds of open FDs.
> > I am on RH 7.2.
>
> I need some more information such as the kernel version, client's OS,
> etc...

Thanks for responding so promptly. This is getting worse. Upgraded Samba some 16 hours ago and
now I only have ~3000 FDs left out of 8192. A few hours ago I had 5000 FDs left.

Specifics
---------
Kernel: RH 2.4.9-34
Client OS: all W2K, not sure what their service pack is, probably SP2.
glibc: 2.2.4
gcc: 2.96-98

What more do you need?

> Also, what are the clients doing?  Any special applications running?

These are normal office machines, most of them only Office some run OrCad or
an Access DB client named Kontakt.

> > I have compiled the sources form SAMBA_2_2 CVS branch from yesterday.
> > usally I just specify the --prefix= parameter to configure before I do
> > make clean;make; make install
> >
> > I also noticed that the yesterdays CVS has changed the default paths for
> > lots of config/logs TDB files such as var/locks/*.tdb is now
> > var/cache/samba/*tdb and private/ is now etc/samba/private/ when did
> > this happen and why was it changed?
>
> Part of the fhs stuff I think.  Only happens when you define a prefix.
> Otherwise the /usr/local/samba/ directory stays the same.  Has been like
> this for several releases now IIRC.

Ahh, I see, in this build I had fhs specified(didn't mean to) previous builds did not. Thanks.

> > total 0
> > dr-xr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Oct 25 10:39 ./
> > dr-xr-xr-x  206 root     root            0 Jun 29 12:00 ../
> > -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 11:40 cmdline
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 11:40 cwd -> //
> > -r--------    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 11:40 environ
> > lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Oct 25 11:40 exe -> /usr/local/samba2.2.3/sbin/smbd*
>
> I'm assuming this directory name does not imply the installed Samba
> version , right ?

Thats right, I have just reused the path, it's samba 2.2.6 that is running.
Should clean that up, I know ...

 Jocke