[Samba] ACL support in Samba

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Oct 25 15:57:00 GMT 2002

> Message: 17
> From: David Brodbeck <DavidB at mail.interclean.com>
> To: "'Bradley W. Langhorst'" <brad at langhorst.com>,
> 	Christopher Barry <cbarry at infiniconsys.com>
> Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: RE: [Samba] ACL support in Samba

My ordinary rescue tools (Mandrake installation CD booted with the
'rescue' optoin, and Knoppix 3.1) have XFS support ...

> I have nothing against XFS, though I haven't used it.  Just presenting my
> own perspective.
>
> ext2 and ext3 ACLs do have the disadvantage that the on-disk format and in
> some cases the kernel interface is a moving target.  Generally this hasn't
> been a problem for me, but it does mean you have to be careful if you
> upgrade to a newer version.  Depending on the release number you sometimes
> have to use getfacl and setfacl to backup and then restore your ACLs
(if the
> on-disk format has changed).  The setfacl part of this procedure, in
> particular, can be time-consuming for big filesystems, especially if
you use
> winbindd -- it took a few hours, last time I did it.  Generally you
want to
> be backing up the ACLs to flat files periodically anyway, since there
aren't
> currently many backup tools that understand ACLs.

Besides xfsdump on XFS.

> If you're looking for an ACL-enabled filesystem that's built into a
> distribution, XFS is currently your only choice.  If you want to use
ext2 or
> ext3 ACL patches you'll need to patch and compile your own kernel and
> filesystem tools.

Not really, Mandrake 9.0 (and AFAIK, SuSE 8.1) support ACLs on Ext2/Ext3
out the box (if you use the 'acl' mount option). And of course samba is
compiled with ACL support (not sure about SuSE again).

Plus, Mandrake 9.0 has winbind support, you can join a domain during
installation (in expert installs).

Buchan

- --