[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 25 03:46:06 GMT 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 08:15:08PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Ah, but it doesn't really matter *what* the value of kernel oplocks is,
> if you don't have kernel support for oplocks. :)  The only other option

My bad, I was confusing options 'op locks' and 'kernel op locks'

Still, it would be nice for it to report 'not applicable' or sumtin.

> .... given that it's only
> an issue if you have multiple applications competing for a file without
> knowing anything about one another's locking conventions -- pretty bad
> situation to be in, no matter what...

Well, my specific example (which I noticed you avoided oooo :-)
was two sambas sharing the same files:
You're not alone, everyone is ducking this question :-)

Here it is again, just in case:

	Excellent, so two otherwise separate Sambas, say,
	with oplocking off and strict locking
	on would play nicely together if sharing the same
	files.

Regards,
Matt