[Samba] Use of pam_smbpass

fred pasteck fred_pasteck at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 25 02:40:01 GMT 2002

Hi all.

I've spent the last several days trying to get
pam_smbpass working on my RH62 box with samba-2.2.x
unsuccessfully, and hoped someone could help.

I've tried versions 2.2.2 and 2.2.6, but I suspect
it's perhaps a misunderstanding of what exactly
pam_smbpass is used for.

There are a few things I'm trying to do:

- sync /etc/shadow with /etc/samba/smbpasswd
- sync /etc/samba/smbpasswd with /etc/shadow

So, if someone uses passwd to change their password it
will automatically also update the samba password. If
a windows user changes their password, it should also
update /etc/shadow. Is this correct?

There are several examples in the sample/ directory
included with the samba source, but it is unclear
where these files actually go. I'm not terribly
familiar with PAM.

Can someone forward me their working copies of the PAM
config files that apply to do what I've described
above?

Even when enabling "debug level = 10" it doesn't
appear like /etc/shadow is being consulted. I've also
tried strace'ing "passwd username" and it never
updates smbpasswd. Same when doing vice-versa.

I've searched the net and there are mentions of
various smb.conf config settings that are supposed to
work, all of which I've tried to no avail. What are
the known-good smb.conf settings necessary to make
this happen?

Is it necessary for the samba server to be a domain
controller? Does it work successfully with modern
encrypted passwords?

Thanks,
Fred