[Samba] Re: How Samba let us down

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 24 16:42:00 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Philip Burrow wrote:

To defend Philip somewhat (and not to contest your efforts):

I think he's referring to the phenomenon that I've seen on way too many
technical mailing lists:  be a complete asshole and you'll get the
complete and undivided attention of multiple developers and power users,
all of of whom assert, while helping, that that's not a good way to get
help.  :-)

Best way to do it is to impugn the quality of the product, and threaten
to switch to another.

(By the way, the OP's subject line was a work of art along these lines.
   The 'us', rather than 'me', raising the prospect of a huge group of
people disappointed in Samba, was particularly nice.  I take my hat off.)

I'm pretty sure a lot of posters have noticed this and use it to their
advantage.  You do have to be kind of unprincipled first...  :-)