[Samba] MSDFS info...

Mac dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 13:39:49 GMT 2002

>From: Fabrizio Morbini <fabrizio.morbini at libero.it>
>To: Mac <dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk>
>Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: Re: [Samba] MSDFS info...
>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:13:56 +0200 (CEST)
>
>On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Mac wrote:
>
>> Nothing special needs to be done on the other three server (A, B and
>> C).
>>
>> You just set up a share called 'shareA' on server storageA, and a share
>> called 'share' on both servers storageB and storageC.  They're
>> completely normal shares.  (You can even map directly too them from you
>> client machines to test)
>>
>But what about authentication? How the server storageA... can allow the
>connection to the share if the autentication is made on the MSDFS server
>with an user maybe not present into storageA... (maybe I miss
>some some step...)

The client authenticates twice. First time it authenticates with the DFS
server.  This server redirects it to (say) server storageA.  The client
then makes a new connection to storageA and authenticates again.

This is what I meant by 'nothing special' needs to be done on the
servers.  They need the normal server stuff, including authentication,
as well as the shares themselves ('shareA') being set up.

MS-DFS isn't going to allow you to do authentication just once on a
server, and then not have to authenticate on another server.  MS-DFS is
just a 'redirection' service.

Does that help?

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk
                        dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk
   Work: +44 1707 641000 x285      Everything else: +44 7956 237670 (anytime)