[Samba] Samba PDC and XP Pro Problem. (Not signorseal - fixed that one some time ago)

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Thu Oct 24 13:12:01 GMT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 04:42, Richard Horton wrote:

> My PDC is Samba 2.2.3 on Redhat 7.3, clients are a mix of Win 2k and XP
> Pro laptops.
there are some bugs in 2.2.3 that were fixed in subsequent releases
2.2.6 looks to be very good  - maybe worth upgrading (probably won't fix
your problem though)

> However the XP laptops
> if I try logging on as a user other than the normal user for that laptop
> then no dice - I get a can not find domain controller error. All the XP
> laptops have had the signorseal fix applied, and I'm not using roaming
> profiles so that's not the issue (or might be on hindsight... does XP
> allow a domain user to log on without a server side profile?)
yes it does
does the other user actually have an account on the domain?
are you sure that the "normal user" is actually logging into the domain?
(ie that user is not in the local password database)

that's the only thing i can think of that might be your problem.

> 	log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd
try making this
log file = /var/log/samba/log.smbd.%m
and show what happens when the machine in question fails to log in.

> 	logon home = \\%N\%u\xphome
this share seems to be missing - probably not a problem since you're not
using roaming profiles...

> [netlogon]
> 	path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
> 	force group = smbusers
> 	browseable = No
this looks a little suspicious to me...
are you sure that your new user has permission on this share?