[Samba] (Fwd) Re: SMBFS missing files using ls and find on RH7.3

woodbri at swoodbridge.com woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Oct 24 12:55:00 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I finally got some info on this problem that you guys might have and
not even know about! So check this out.

-Steve

Date sent:      	Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:59:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:           	Urban Widmark <>
To:             	woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Copies to:      	Ed McNierney <>
Subject:        	Re: SMBFS missing files using ls and find on RH7.3

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 woodbri at swoodbridge.com wrote:

> Urban,
>
> Greetings!
>
> I found a reference to you regarding a problem with smbfs and the
> fact that files are missing while doing an ls or find on the smbfs
> file system. I have seen posts of this problem dating back to 1996!
> Anyway, I am hoping you can help me with this.
>
> I have a Windows XP system with a raid file system on it that is
> shared. I mount it with:

There is a known problem with win2k and the way smbfs reads
directories. It's possible that XP has the same problem. A directory
can be read in a lot of slightly different ways.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=102478783025613&w=2

I have a more recent patch but I'm not sure what the URL is.

Note that there have been other dir listing problems where the server
returns an unknown error. This is then printed to the kernel log.

/Urban